Official Rules – Olympic and Classic Distance Events
Official Race Policies
- Event Cancellation & Transfer Policy
- Entry Fees are non-transferable: We appreciate you, as our customer, and understand that sometimes you just can’t make the race. We have created a great policy that offers you several different options, in the event you cannot attend on race day. (You may choose only one of the options below)
- Defer Your Entry:You may defer your entry to another date or event within the Motiv event portfolio. Deferrals are allowed and must be processed by the Event registration manager. An administration fee of $25 will be charged in the event you defer. Deferrals expire after 12 months. All deferral requests must be made no later than 9/8/2018.
- Purchase Event Insurance: Booking Protect, through the ACTIVE Network offers event protection to participants so that they can get their entry fees back if they can’t participate in the event for covered reasons. The product, called Booking Protect is located in the registration path on Active before checkout. All refunds and claims will go through Booking Protect and are not managed by Active or Motiv Sports.
- Transfers: You may not give or sell your number to anyone else. Bib transfers are allowed for an administration charge and must be processed through the ACTIVE Network registration portal. All transfer requests must be made no later than 7/31/2018.
- Number Plates and Race Numbers MUST be visible at all times in order for riders to be scored.
- Racers must wear the assigned timing chip in order to be scored.
- Helmets must be worn at all times during the biking portion of the race.
- The timing director and the USAT official will resolve all timing problems. If an official is not present, the timing director will have the final decision on all protests with the consultation of the race director if necessary.
- Timing problems and protests must be presented within the posted 15-minute protest period. Problems and protests presented after the 15-minute protest period may not be addressed in time for the award ceremony.
- Racers starting in the wrong wave will be disqualified.
- Results will be posted online the day of the event.
- In the case of inclement weather, natural disaster, Acts of God, terrorism, or any other unforeseen circumstance, to be determined solely by the Nautica Malibu Triathlon and participating government agencies, that prevents the safe execution of the Event, The Nautica Malibu Triathlon reserves the right to suspend, modify or cancel the Event, the Event distances and the Event disciplines in the interest of competitor safety and will not be held liable for any loss as a result of such decision. Though The Nautica Malibu Triathlon will make every assertive effort to conduct the event as scheduled, The Nautica Malibu Triathlon does not allow transfers, refunds, rollovers or exchanges of event registrations for these circumstances.
- Any participant who conducts him- or herself in an unsportsmanlike manner or who is offensive in action or language to event officials, other participants, volunteers, or spectators, at the sole discretion of Event officials, staff, and/or personnel may be disqualified from the Event without a refund. The Nautica Malibu Triathlon reserves the right to refuse future race entry to participants guilty of unsportsmanlike conduct.
- USAT rules are enforced. USA Triathlon officials will handle protests, and their rulings are final.
- Non-USAT members must pay a one-day license fee of $15 per person per event for ages 14 and up.
- Age Group: Determined by age on Dec. 31 of the event year, not by age on race day. For example: If you turn 25 years old in July of 2018, you will race and be ranked in the 25-29 age group for the entire 2018 season.
COUNT DOWN TO RACE DAY...